Legal and Advocacy Service
Assistance provided in relation to:
- Family law – children, separation and divorce
- Family and domestic violence
- Victims of crime compensation
- Wills and deceased estates
- Child protection
- Credit and Debt
Free legal advice clinics
- Weekly clinics in Katherine Office – to make an appointment free call 1800 620 108
- Outreach Services
Community Legal Education
- Through Community Legal Education KWILS helps to inform women about the legal system and their legal rights. KWILS also aims to educate the community and legal profession in the resolution of legal issues affecting women.
- Community Legal Education sessions are conducted in Katherine and in remote Indigenous Communities. Audiences include women’s groups and service providers. Session topics range from domestic violence, family law, victim’s compensation, child protection and mandatory reporting legislation, credit and debt issues.
- For more information on the education and training available through KWILS please contact:
KWILS regularly travels to assist women living in remote areas in the Katherine Region. To find out more about remote community visits, or if you would like us to visit your community, call us on 1800 684 055.
We can also provide advice and assistance over the phone to remote women.
The Australian government’s “Stronger Futures in the Northern Territory” initiative supports the delivery of legal assistance services, particularly in remote communities.
The ‘Family Violence/Victim’s Rights’ funding is provided to increase assistance for victims of family violence and raise awareness of victims’ rights.
Indigenous Women’s Outreach Project funding is provided for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Women’s projects to address the particular legal service needs of Indigenous women. Women’s Legal Services provide assistance to women, often providing state-wide services through telephone advice lines. They also undertake community legal education and law reform activities in relation to family law, violence against women, discrimination and employment.